If you’re wondering how to get married in Washington, DC then look no further – you’ve come to the right place! DC Elopements is the area’s #1 marriage services provider, and our company flawlessly performs over 500 marriages every year. We are proud to serve all couples, and we offer a full suite of marriage options for you to choose from.
Legal marriages in DC can only be performed by someone who is authorized and registered with the DC Marriage Bureau (like our staff of authorize professional officiants) and we can even take care of obtaining certified copies of your marriage license after you’ve been legally married.
Below are our options for legal marriages in Washington, DC. Click on the links for each item to learn more about that process:
DC Legal Marriage Packages
- DC Legal Marriage Package “A”
- DC Legal Marriage Package “B”
- DC Legal Marriage Package “C”
- Package Options and Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- DC Marriage License Signing Service — An authorized professional officiant will meet you at our standard location in Northwest Washington, DC and sign your marriage license. Both parties being married must be physically present at the signing, and the entire appointment lasts no longer than 15 minutes. If you would prefer to move the signing appointment somewhere other than our standard location, the officiant will be happy to meet you anywhere else within the city limits of the District of Columbia for an additional $75 fee.[GO BACK]
- Bring Your Own Marriage License — For DC Legal Marriage Package “A” customers, you will need to apply for and obtain your own marriage license from the Marriage Bureau at the DC Superior Court prior to your signing appointment. If you are planning to apply for a DC marriage license online, we recommend scheduling your signing service at least 6-8 weeks from now due to delayed processing at the DC Marriage Bureau. If you plan on applying in person, we recommend obtaining your marriage license at least one day prior to your signing appointment in case you are unable to obtain a marriage license on your first visit. If that is not possible, we strongly recommend arriving at the courthouse as early as possible (the doors for security typically open at 8:30am EST) and avoid scheduling your signing appointment with us prior to 1pm EST. This will give you 3-4 hours to obtain your license prior to your signing appointment, and give you the best chance to avoid missing your appointment. There are no refunds for missed signing appointments, and we cannot perform the service without your valid DC marriage license in hand.
Please Note: You will need to schedule your signing appointment with us prior to applying for your marriage license, because you will need the name of your specific officiant in order for the staff at the Marriage Bureau to print your license. Please see our DC Marriage License Requirements page for more information about the specific types of identification and documentation you will need to bring with you to apply for your marriage license.[GO BACK]
- DC Marriage License Assistance Service — DC Elopements will provide step-by-step instructions for obtaining your marriage license using the online application for DC marriage licenses. If you encounter extreme delays in processing your application with the DC Marriage Bureau, our staff may contact the marriage bureau on your behalf to obtain a current status and attempt to expedite processing. [GO BACK]
- Online Marriage License Assistance Service — DC Elopements will prepare customized online marriage options and recommendations based on your location(s) and individual circumstances. Select one of our recommended online marriage options, and we will provide step-by-step instructions for obtaining your marriage license and providing it to your officiant. For more information about this service, click here: Legal Online Marriage Package[GO BACK]
- Online Marriage Officiant Service — DC Elopements will arrange for an authorized professional marriage officiant to perform your legal marriage license signing service via web conference. Online marriage services typically take place via Zoom, but other web conference options are available upon request. Availability and options depend on the marriage jurisdiction you select, all options will be included in our Online Marriage License Assistance recommendations. For more information about this service, click here: Legal Online Marriage Package[GO BACK]
- Certified Copy Included with Marriage License — For couples who choose Legal Marriage Package “B”, at least one certified copy is included in the cost of your marriage license. Additional certified copies, apostilles, and upgraded shipping options vary by jurisdiction, and will be provided in our Online Marriage License Assistance recommendations. [GO BACK]
- DC Certified Copy Courier Service — For couples who get married with a DC marriage license, certified copies are not included with your DC marriage license and must be purchased separately. Our courier will make an in-person visit to the DC Marriage Bureau and obtain one official “regular” certified copy for your records, and ship it to you via USPS Priority Mail with tracking. Additional “regular” certified copies are available for $15 each and “triple seal” certified copies are available for $25 each. Apostille service and international shipping are available for an additional fee. For more information about this service, click here: DC Marriage License Certified Copies [GO BACK]
- How far in advance do we need to book? — If you need to get married online as quickly as possible, we can help! Typical turnaround on our Legal Online Marriage Package (Package “B”) is three business days. Rush service is available for a $175 fee, and we can help you get married online the next day or even the same day if the timing works out. For customers who choose Legal Marriage Package “C”, it may take up to 8 weeks to obtain your marriage license from the DC Marriage Bureau.
- Is it legal to get married online? — Absolutely! Washington DC is one of a handful of jurisdictions in the United States that allow legal marriages online (with some restrictions). We’ve partnered with several different jurisdictions across the country to provide 100% legal online marriages to all our customers, no matter where they are located. We even have options for couples who are located in other countries, or are not both in the same physical location! We have married couples from all over the world and we would be happy to help you get married online quickly, easily, and legally.
- How do we get the process started? — The first (and best) step is to contact us by filling out our web form so we have all of your information, and we will get in touch with you quickly to answer any questions you may have and schedule a free consultation. We look forward to speaking with you!